Seascapes are amazing

>> Sunday, April 12, 2009


Imagine looking out at the blue sea under the blue sky on a bright sunny day, in a place far far away. It is an amazing experience, the feeling is so overwhelming that you just have to share them with others. As photographers, amateur or professional, there is no greater joy than showing off the experience with pictures.
This is where the work began. First you have to have your camera ready, and start working on those technical skills you have learn so far.

These images were taken at a wonderful place, called Raja Ampat, West Papua, Indonesia. Nearby is the diving site, that is famous for their Manta Rays.
For this shot, I use My old Nikon D70 camera, with 18 mm lens, ISO 200 (because the lowest ISO in Nikon D70 is 200, but if your camera has ISO 100, I would recommend to use ISO 100 instead).
Have you heard of "Sunny f 16"? it is very simple, yet very useful. If we are shooting on a bright sunny day, just use f16 at the speed 1/ISO. In this case, I use ISO 200, so my exposure is f16@ 1/200.
Of course you can always use the metering in your camera, but this measurement works well for me.

How to capture the bluest sky?

It depends on the time of day. It is best to shoot when the sun is at a low position that means shooting in the morning or late afternoon. The best time for me is around 7 - 9 in the morning, then around 3 - 5 in the afternoon. Late afternoon tends to create a more yellowish colors, it will get redder as it turns into sunset.
Be aware of where you stand. Always look at the position of the sun. The best way is to shoot where the sun is behind you. Shooting against the sun won't give you the bluest sky.

Choosing the best angle, prepare to get wet!

I was walking down the beach when I found this boat. The water was so clear, it looked like the boat was floating. I wanted to capture both the slue sky and the boat. To get that, I had to dip into the water, move closer to the boat and squat down a bit to get just the right composition. When I was finished all my pants were wet, the children who had been following me around were giggling. But my mission is accomplished.
The exposure for this shot is the same, I used the “sunny f 16” metering and shot at f16@1/200. Why f 16? because I wanted to get a long depth of field, where all objects are in sharp focus.

Shooting from a moving boat? No problem!

We were on fast moving boat on the way to our dive site, when we passed this beautiful island. The sea was so calm that we can see the reflection of the clouds on the water. But we were moving very fast, I had to make a quick decision. I was thinking, I don’t want to see movement, so I set my shutter speed first at 1/250 f 14 at ISO 200.

0 comments: